Thursday, June 13, 2013

Climbing the World's Steepest Street

After growing up around some pretty healthy hills and skiing some pretty steep slopes I was a little skeptical of the title that Baldwin Street claims. While not as steep as some of the slopes I have been on, it is an almost unreal experience that pictures just cant do justice. Here I compare it to a hill that some kids (and most adults) in my old neighborhood are afraid to sled down in the winter:
187th Street in Kenmore, Washington Baldwin Street in Dunedin, Otago
It is hard to tell from the pictures so it is easy to get the idea that Baldwin Street isn't that steep. But trust me, it is! Having hiked up 187th Street a number of times, it pales in comparison to the climb here in Dunedin. We were not in a big hurry to bust our chops so we took our time and had a bit of fun taking pictures on the way up:
Once you reach the "summit" you can't help but feel a smug sense of accomplishment:
At the top there were some more opportunities to continue our wacky photo-shoot. I deeply regretted not bringing something to roll down the hill. I think something on the safe side like a ping-pong ball would have been alright but my imagination was dreaming of a physics experiment involving yoga balls and all the spheres used in professional sports (including bowling and pool). In want for something to roll, I decided to use my body. I didn't make it far before losing my nerve:
Each year Cadbury rolls thousands of coin-size chocolate balls down the hill for charity: youtube.com:'baldwin jaffa race'
And like any proper tourist trap, there is a souvenir shop where you can get a certificate to commemorate your achievement:
Be doubly sure they know how to spell your name!
Stay tuned as we start the return leg of our journey back to Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment