Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

This post comes late, so I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Andy and I had a very quiet Thanksgiving this year (considering this was the first time either of us had ever spent this holiday outside the states).  It was strange for it to pass by like any other day here without all the hullabaloo that we're used to.  It made me miss home and wish I was stuffing myself full of food with the rest of you (miss you guys!).  I kept staring at Andy with a look in my eye, mumbling "turkey... mashed potatoes... pumpkin pie... waahhh!"  When I finally came back to my senses, I spent a good portion of the day reading, thinking, and reflecting.  Ironically, I came across this verse in my bible:

1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

I meditated on all the things in life we have to be thankful for.  I am thankful for a wonderful husband who fills my days with love, happiness, and fun!  I am thankful for all of you, our family and friends.  And of course, I am thankful for this opportunity that Andy and I have been given to come here to New Zealand.

I am also thankful that all our physical needs are met: we have a place to live, food to eat, and clothes to wear.  We are blessed.  But this year, I dug a bit deeper... because even if we didn't have these things, we would have something far greater to be thankful for, and that which cannot be taken from us: God himself and the ability to know Him.  So this year, instead of focusing on the blessing, I decided to focus on the giver.  Because that, to me, is life in abundance.  With that in mind, everyday should be a day of thanksgiving!

But just for the sake of tradition, this is the closest thing we could get to a Thanksgiving dinner:

No comments:

Post a Comment